Hotline for Veteran Complaints
“According to a June 1 Military Times article by Leo Shane III, the President’s long-promised hotline for veteran complaints was officially launched on June 1. The phone line—live now at 855-948-2311—is designed to “collect, process, and respond to the complaints of individual veterans in a responsive, timely, and accountable manner,” according to Department of Veterans Affairs officials.”
Urgent Mental Health Care.
The Department of Veterans Affairs will offer urgent mental health care beginning this summer to thousands of former service members with less-than-honorable discharges, part of its expanded initiative to stem stubbornly high rates of suicide.
Sent via the Fox News app for Android. Download the app here:
VAPORHCS March 2017 Veteran Connection Newsletter
Here is what is in this issue of the Veteran Connection… ·
· Message from VAPORHCS Director Michael W. Fisher
· Veterans Town Hall – March 20, Vancouver VA Campus & via Facebook Live
· Oregon Legionnaire recognized nationally for his volunteerism at VAPORHCS
· VVA Toxic Exposure educational event for Veterans & medical professionals at PVAMC; March 11, 1 – 4 p.m.
· Compassionate Warrior Training, supporting Veterans with PTSD and moral injury
· Red Cross Blood Drive, PVAMC, March 13, 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
· Woman’s Health Fair – March 31, PVAMC, Bldg. 100, Auditorium, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· March is designated LGBT Health Awareness Month – here are some good resources
· Living Well with Chronic Conditions Classes – start in April at the West Linn CBOC
Portland VA Crisis Help Line
Portland VA Crisis Help Line
Good afternoon from VA Portland Health Care System:
I wanted to share this news that has been discussed in a number of venues I have been at over the past couple years.
VAPORHCS has changed our phone message and capabilities so when Veterans call us on our main number (503)220-8262 they can be connected directly to the Veterans Crisis Line by pressing “7.”
This is the new message:
“Welcome to the VA Portland Health Care System. If you are having a medical or mental health emergency, hang up and dial 911. If you are having thoughts of suicide, press 7 now to be connected with the Veterans Crisis line or you may call 1-800-273-8255 then press 1″.
Daniel E. Herrigstad
Public Affairs Officer
VA Portland Health Care System
VA Announces New Local Director
Welcome New VA Medical Director
Here is a link to the VISN 20 press release announcing the selection of Michael Fisher as the new Director of VA Portland Health Care System.
Some of you may know Mr. Fisher as he was the Interim VAPORHCS Director for several months in 2014 and was a former VISN 20 Chief Financial Officer and Deputy Network Director.
Mr. Fisher’s start date is July 24, 2016. In the time between Dr. Burnett’s departure on July 8 to Mr. Fisher’s arrival on the 24th, our Deputy Director, Ms. Tracye Davis, will serve in an acting director capacity.
VA Program for Geriatric and Extended Care
This is the VA Program for Geriatric and Extended Care presented by the VA at the last meeting of the Medical Advisory Board. It gives an outline of what the VA offers for geriatric and extended care.