VAPORHCS January 2017 Veteran Connection Newsletter
January 27, 2017
Here is what is in this issue of the Veteran Connection… ·
· Message from VAPORHCS Director Michael W. Fisher
· Veterans Town Hall – March 20, Vancouver VA Campus & via Facebook Live
· Military Sexual Trauma – A Veteran shares his story to help others
· Woman’s Health Fair – March 31, PVAMC, Bldg. 100, Auditorium, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· Celebrate National Wear Red Day with Go Red For Women on Friday, Feb. 3, 2017, to help save women’s lives
· VAPORHCS Amputation Support Group, PVAMC, Thursdays 1-2 p.m.
· Veteran Service Officer (VSO) support at VAPORHCS
· Veterans: IRS offers tips and filling help options to Veterans
· The Savvy Caregiver Program – 6 week program for caregivers of loved ones with dementia
IMPORTANT: Alleged Prescription Scam targeting Veterans
November 4, 2016
VA has recently learned of two non-VA pharmacies contacting Veterans directly to generate unnecessary prescriptions for topical pain medications. If you’re contacted by a non-VA pharmacy seeking approval for a prescription, or receive a prescription seeking a VA provider signature, immediately contact VA Police (in Portland call (503) 808-1911).
Fraudulent prescriptions such as these can cost Veterans, and VA, thousands of dollars on unnecessary, and often unproven medications. Here is a related article from last year… http://www.cbsnews.com/news/investigation-insurance-billed-18000-for-unwanted-pain-meds/
You can also see/share this information via the VAPORHCS Facebook page.
VA Announces New Local Director
Welcome New VA Medical Director
Here is a link to the VISN 20 press release announcing the selection of Michael Fisher as the new Director of VA Portland Health Care System.
Some of you may know Mr. Fisher as he was the Interim VAPORHCS Director for several months in 2014 and was a former VISN 20 Chief Financial Officer and Deputy Network Director.
Mr. Fisher’s start date is July 24, 2016. In the time between Dr. Burnett’s departure on July 8 to Mr. Fisher’s arrival on the 24th, our Deputy Director, Ms. Tracye Davis, will serve in an acting director capacity.